Author Topic: Dian Fossey  (Read 112 times)

AmyB

• Administrator
  • Stump-tailed Macaque
Dian Fossey
« on: April 01, 2011, 06:57:46 pm »
At 8pm (0r 9 on +1) on Eden channel there is a programme about Dian Fossey showing previously unseen footage of her.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

LornaMcA

• Administrator
  • Stump-tailed Macaque
  • Adoptive Mum to Pung-Yo
Re: Dian Fossey
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 09:26:20 pm »
thanks amy.  i'm watching it now... its really interesting and there's some lovely footage of the gorillas.

AmyB

• Administrator
  • Stump-tailed Macaque
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 10:07:04 pm »
I plussed it to watch tomorrow when Ant's at work :)
Watched 19 kids and counting just, their latest baby is teeny! Born at 25 weeks and weighs just over 2lb

LornaMcA

• Administrator
  • Stump-tailed Macaque
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 11:25:09 pm »
for those that missed the three part mountain gorilla programme narrated by patrick stewart it is being shown on eden starting on sunday at 6pm.  well worth a watch.

LesleyM

• Capuchin
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 06:29:10 pm »
I got the DVD of this last year. very good and have since found out what happened next to some of the stars of it through internet research including a website called Gorilla Doctors.

Troglodytes

• Woolly Monkey
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 06:32:58 pm »
I follow gorilla doctors on Facebook/Twitter, it's fascinating to hear the ongoing efforts to monitor & where necessary treat the animals in situ.

MWmadgill

• Stump-tailed Macaque
  • Pacito's adopted mum.
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 09:44:40 pm »
Was it the one with the guy who was her cameraman?  That was on late last year - very good.

Will have a look at 6.00pm on Sunday - thanks Lorna.

LornaMcA

• Administrator
  • Stump-tailed Macaque
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 11:06:26 pm »
Was it the one with the guy who was her cameraman?  That was on late last year - very good.

Will have a look at 6.00pm on Sunday - thanks Lorna.

yeah, that's the one.  very interesting to get other people's perspective on dian and her work.  just wish they had shown more of the camera man's footage.

mazfc

• Stump-tailed Macaque
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 08:38:33 pm »
I really enjoyed the footage was great, though like anything with dian fossey always tinged with sadness knowing what happened to her, digit and the two babies.

I have always found dian as fascinating as her work - a very conflicted lady who carried a lot if anger but did amazing work. She brought the gorillas to the attention of the world and that definitely helped to save them, but she always opposed any gorilla tourism and wouldn't have been happy with how things have gone after her death.

I actually think it has been handled well, better controlled sanctioned tourism than people sneaking in to see something that has been forbidden them
"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~ Immanual Kant

"Man is rated the highest animal, at least amongst all the animals that returned the questionnaire." Robert Brault ;-)

LornaMcA

• Administrator
  • Stump-tailed Macaque
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 10:14:53 pm »

I actually think it has been handled well, better controlled sanctioned tourism than people sneaking in to see something that has been forbidden them

i totally agree.  at least with controlled tourism people go in small groups, only spend an hour with the gorillas and are kept at a distance from the gorillas so the gorillas won't catch illnesses from the tourists.  gorilla tourism brings in money to poor countries, so it gives the local people an incentive to protect the gorillas and not to get involved in poaching.