Author Topic: Colchester 29.5.12  (Read 90 times)

AmyB

• Administrator
  • Stump-tailed Macaque
Colchester 29.5.12
« on: May 29, 2012, 07:02:47 pm »
Spent the morning at Col today. Would have been there longer than 4 hours but was full of screaming adults and their screaming children!

Raj came straight over to say hi and we sat "chatting" for a while. Tiga was sitting in the window of the big playroom under a cover of wood wool and a box with just his eyes peeping out, doing the same "bog off" death stare that his mum and dad do so well! I left him alone but took a picture from a distance!!

Chimps all outside. Tombe wasn't a happy chappy and was displaying at the new Fransoirs' Langurs next door. The Langurs were introduced to each other on Sunday afternoon and are getting on well so far. Tombe kept checking them out through the window and displayed a few times. He came clattering at the window where a lady was standing, it made her jump and he then sat down watching the langurs behind her. The lady then decided to peel and eat a banana right in front of him, and wondered why he went crazy and screamed and shouted and displayed at her...
Talia was full of beans. Her white bum tuft is disappearing quickly now and she has grown a lot over the last few weeks. Tumba has also grown, and seems to have matured (although, I may have just caught him on a calm and well behaved day). Billy-Joe came to say hello and said hi in chimp to me through the window! Kora has even less hair than before, she is the lowest ranker and offers herself to be groomed a lot. Tara's bottom was very swollen, which the banana lady thought was very funny and stood banging on the window trying to get Tara to turn round.

Both sun bears were out and about forraging and playing chase. They're so lovely to watch.

I sat with my beautiful little spider monkey friend for a while. He's a hand raised lad who loves people. He presses himself against the glass and wants to be tickled, and chatters away while flirting! I sat with him for about 40 mins, but he had a MAJOR tantrum as I left. Glad the glass was there! The other lad he lives with was hand raised too, but was happy to sit on the climbing frame watching.

The lions were quite active when I saw them. Naja and Malika were stalking a group of school children round the windows (kids and staff didn't realise what they were doing....) and Bailey was watching, just in case they got one!!!!

Otters were all very active and using the whole of their enclosure. They're hard to keep up with! The cubs kept diving into a pool, chasing each other under the water, jumping out then jumping into the other pool!!!

Spent quite a while in the lemur walk through. Baby is 2 months old today and is extremely active, confident and co-ordinated. He was bouncing around the climbing frames and bamboo and bouncing off his family members. Summer (lowest ranker) has been allowed back into the group so was sitting with the others. Lexie (young female) was just as bouncy as her baby brother and desperate for the others to play. The red ruffs seemed to be keeping their distance from the ring tails today. They are more dominant than the ring tails (3 red ruffs, 11 ring tails) and sometimes sneak up on them and shout at them or drop on them from above, but all 3 were in their area sun bathing.

The black and white colobus family were active too. Baby Theo is now HUGE and almost the same size as his bigger brother, Ollie (Lloyd is the one oldest out of the 3 kids). Lloyd, Ollie and Theo were having a great game of chase. Mum and Dad were sitting together grooming.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Joan

• Stump-tailed Macaque
  • Adoptive mum to the capuchins, macaques and Clin
Re: Colchester 29.5.12
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 08:10:48 pm »
Good that they are all keeping well at Colchester, would be lovely to see the sun bears playing, they are so gorgeous.