Author Topic: My Unique Family  (Read 102 times)

AmyB

• Administrator
  • Stump-tailed Macaque
My Unique Family
« on: October 10, 2011, 11:42:15 am »
There's a series on Sky called My Unique Family. Every week, as the name suggests, it focuses on a family who are very different from what most would consider "normal" (a word I hate). The one I'm watching at the moment is focusing on the Kirton family, an American couple who have 6 children.
ALL 6 children have some form of Autism Spectrum Disorder, ranging from PDD-NOS (the least severe) through Asperger's to the most severe, Classic ASD. It's fascinating. They're the only family in America known to have all of their kids on the spectrum.
The parents seem to cope really well with the situation, although, I don't suppose they have much choice really. They have accepted their kids' difference and are really trying to do the very best they can for them. One of their kids, who is 6, has Classic ASD and is functioning at the same level as a 1 year old infant. The eldest of the kids has Asperger's (AS) and is considered "high functioning" and is very bright academically, but lacks social interaction skills. He loves routine and clear boundaries and finds it difficult to cope when these change.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

LornaMcA

• Administrator
  • Stump-tailed Macaque
  • Adoptive Mum to Pung-Yo
Re: My Unique Family
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 08:34:18 pm »
Sounds fascinating.  It must be so difficult for the parents.