Author Topic: OMG....what type of indiividual would want to wear this back then  (Read 203 times)

MWmadgill

• Stump-tailed Macaque
  • Pacito's adopted mum.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Elly

• Marmoset
I usually love vintage clothes, but that's vile  :(

reminds me of the horrible jacket made from colubus monkey that Pete burns wore when he was on celeb big brother

MWmadgill

• Stump-tailed Macaque
  • Pacito's adopted mum.
Dreadful thing, they're also selling a matching bag wold you believe Elly.

Joan

• Stump-tailed Macaque
  • Adoptive mum to the capuchins, macaques and Clin
Yes sickening stuff, but in those days and up to fairly recently people thought nothing of wearing real leopardskin coats and gorillas were killed to make ashtrays of their hands. 

Weird thing about Pete Burns is he was boasting that it was made of gorilla fur!   

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4603032.stm

MWmadgill

• Stump-tailed Macaque
  • Pacito's adopted mum.
It's a shame they didn't lock him up and throw away the key.    Sick in the head in my opinion.

LornaMcA

• Administrator
  • Stump-tailed Macaque
  • Adoptive Mum to Pung-Yo
Disgusting!  At Marwell they have on display some items that have been confiscated by customs.  The most disturbing for me was a zebra leg lamp.  Why?  They also have bags, skins, shoes, etc made out of various animals.

Joan

• Stump-tailed Macaque
Yes beggars belief, they used to make umbrella stands and stools out of elephant legs.

The worst artifact for me though is the bookend made out of a real baby chimpanzee head at Howletts, who like Marwell have a Hall of Shame confiscated from HM Customs and Excise.

mazfc

• Stump-tailed Macaque
Twycross had an education tent out this week, and they were doing some super activities with kids. Looking at gorilla conservation in particular.

They also had confiscated items displayed - one of which was the skin of a colobus monkey.
"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~ Immanual Kant

"Man is rated the highest animal, at least amongst all the animals that returned the questionnaire." Robert Brault ;-)

Joan

• Stump-tailed Macaque
Excellent, it's so important to educate people about conservation.  Colobus monkeys have stunning fur, Howletts have a fabulous group and Apollo the alpha male at Colchester is awesome.

MWmadgill

• Stump-tailed Macaque
  • Pacito's adopted mum.
Yes beggars belief, they used to make umbrella stands and stools out of elephant legs.

The worst artifact for me though is the bookend made out of a real baby chimpanzee head at Howletts, who like Marwell have a Hall of Shame confiscated from HM Customs and Excise.

Oh crikey Joan, thanks for that as I'm hoping to visit Howletts before the end of the year.  Dreadful  :(

Elly

• Marmoset
Disgusting!  At Marwell they have on display some items that have been confiscated by customs.  The most disturbing for me was a zebra leg lamp.  Why?  They also have bags, skins, shoes, etc made out of various animals.

They have a similar display at Blackpool zoo. The keeper who was manning the display told me they have a huge collection of these things, which the items on display were just a small part of.
I was shocked by how recently the items were made as I'd assumed they were all really old, but she pointed out an elephant's foot umbrella stand which was mounted on modern mdf. What a sad and undignified end to a magnificent creature :(

MWmadgill

• Stump-tailed Macaque
  • Pacito's adopted mum.
What's Blackpool Zoo like Elly ? - never been.

Elly

• Marmoset
What's Blackpool Zoo like Elly ? - never been.

It's a fairly small zoo but well worth a visit Gill.

There's a group of 4 orangs, and a small group of Gorillas.

They also have a fantastic exhibit called amazonia, this is an enclosed walk-thru with small south american monkeys & other animals - although most don't come anywhere near the walkways! the squirrel monkeys do however, and it's lovely to see them close up.

some pics :) https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1733982568943.68134.1819932226&l=1c38eb5309&type=1

« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 05:45:26 pm by Elly »

Joan

• Stump-tailed Macaque
Lovely photos Elly, very impressive silverback.

MWmadgill

• Stump-tailed Macaque
  • Pacito's adopted mum.
Thanks Elly.  He is a GORGEOUS Silver Back !