Author Topic: Volunteering  (Read 158 times)

CBF

• Capuchin
Volunteering
« on: June 20, 2011, 07:12:46 pm »
So as some of you know I went to volunteer at a very small zoo on Saturday. The zoo has three capuchins, birds, penguins, goats, rabbits etc.

I was very very dissappointed and most definately will not be returning, it is a council run zoo and they were so disorganised. They were running out of everything, everything was falling apart and they was just having to make do.

In terms of the monkeys two of them have started eating there tails now correct me if am wrong but that is a sign of boredom isnt it? The keepers dont seem to understand they need mental stimuli.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Troglodytes

• Woolly Monkey
Re: Volunteering
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 07:22:30 pm »
In terms of the monkeys two of them have started eating there tails now correct me if am wrong but that is a sign of boredom isnt it? The keepers dont seem to understand they need mental stimuli.

I'd report that to Monkey World!

lorna

• Marmoset
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 08:10:18 pm »
The behaviour of the capuchins is very worrying - definitely a sign of boredom/ stereoptypic behaviour that should be stopped asap. I'd definitely let MW and your local RSPCA centre know.

CBF

• Capuchin
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 08:24:22 pm »
They didntt go in to much detail but I believe one has had it amputated and the other one has no fur left on it. Think there both getting vet treatment wish I had questioned it more. I saw one of them eating a dead bird as well

MWmadgill

• Stump-tailed Macaque
  • Pacito's adopted mum.
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 08:48:09 pm »
Oh my goodness.   Like Simon I would think about telling MW Cassie.

CBF

• Capuchin
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 08:52:06 pm »
I feel a bit useless though as don't know that much about the situation

Hsiao-ning

• Squirrel Monkey
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 05:52:16 pm »
get in contacted with the RSPCA and see what they can do also get in contact with MW they could go and try and help them out :)
adopted mum of Hsiao-ning and Joly

MWmadgill

• Stump-tailed Macaque
  • Pacito's adopted mum.
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 11:59:56 am »
It is difficult to know what to do.   Won't bore you with Southport zoo again but RSPCA is a good move I think as they work in line with MW.

Hsiao-ning

• Squirrel Monkey
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 05:31:04 pm »
RSPCA is a good start they could help them out :)
adopted mum of Hsiao-ning and Joly

LornaMcA

• Administrator
  • Stump-tailed Macaque
  • Adoptive Mum to Pung-Yo
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 04:55:14 pm »
I'm sorry to hear that your volunteering didn't go well.  It must have been very upsetting for you to see the way these animals were living.  I agree with the others that contacting MW and the RSPCA would be a good starting point - RSPCA were involved in the rescue of Sinbad and some other pet monkeys that are now at MW.  Even if you don't have much information, I'm sure these organisations would be able to dig deeper to find out more.

johni

• Marmoset
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011, 02:13:45 pm »
This was a couple of months ago what happened to the cap's ?

Matt