Author Topic: Chester Zoo  (Read 866 times)

Troglodytes

• Woolly Monkey
Chester Zoo
« on: June 11, 2011, 08:26:08 am »
Had a great visit yesterday.

When I did keeper for the day the lemurs were shut in and not very interested so the keeper I did it with said to come back some other time & do it properly. Sadly (or maybe not ) they just have a bachelor group as all the females & babies have left. But boy lemurs are nice people :)

I had the bucket of food, a lemur on each shoulder, one hanging off the bucket and a row lined up on the branch. They were very gentle taking the food although a little hand would come & try to pull my hand & the grape into their mouth as I was trying to give it another.

The baby roan antelope is very sweet and was being embarrassed by his mum washing his bum very thoroughly. The antelope equivalent of spitting on a hanky!

Emma the Sumatran orangutan was very nice & came to say hello when I went before home time. I don't think her sister likes me but she was outside so couldn't blank me! Utara, Emma's daughter seemed to be spending the day with her Aunt.

The Bornean babies spent the whole day wrestling, they are very sweet. The B's have not entirely denuded their new enclosure.

The chimps were shut in all day because of some work being done but did catch Boris enjoying a hearty breakfast and some of them has just gone out at home time. Sadly the one who might have been pregnant isn't :(

I never come away without feeling I missed loads of stuff.

As we were being ushered out of the RotRA a man said to me 'It doesn't seem fair, we had to shelter from that downpour, you'd think they'd stay open longer than 5.' Seriously? Britain would ground to a halt if you had to extend opening hours when it rains, it's not as though there are not indoor houses at Chester where you can shelter whilst watching animals!

Exciting news is that the tuatara have laid eggs, I love these since we saw semi-wild ones in New Zealand. It'll be a year before they know if they are going to hatch. It's a good sign though because apparently they are young!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 08:30:36 am by Simon de Monkeyworld »

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

mazzy

• Stump-tailed Macaque
Re: Chester Zoo
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 12:27:13 pm »
lovely report Simon what a lovely day you had , id imagine its quite a nice life living in a lemur all boy group xxx

mazfc

• Stump-tailed Macaque
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 06:41:58 pm »
Super report Simon. Sounds a fab day.

Have the keepers collected the tuatara eggs or left them in exhibit?
"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~ Immanual Kant

"Man is rated the highest animal, at least amongst all the animals that returned the questionnaire." Robert Brault ;-)

Joan

• Stump-tailed Macaque
  • Adoptive mum to the capuchins, macaques and Clin
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 07:50:22 pm »
That was a fantastic experience, the lemurs sound captivating.  Yes people can watch the animals whilst sheltering from a downpour, or have a restorative cuppa.

Fingers crossed the tuatara eggs will hatch safely.

Troglodytes

• Woolly Monkey
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 12:37:11 am »
It says in the members magazine that they were in a properly dug nest which they think is a good sign. I asked yesterday where they were but the lad I asked didn't know.

I'll be quite delerious if they hatch. Hopefully even though they are so rare in zoos they should not be too difficult to breed, they breed in windy Wellington and the climate is not that special!

Troglodytes

• Woolly Monkey
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 04:50:21 pm »
Very exciting news, Kirana Chester's Sumatran tiger who is very young has had a cub and seems to be caring for it very well. They are not confident it will survive but looking good so far.

Troglodytes

• Woolly Monkey
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 10:46:00 pm »
Well Kirana and baby still seem to be doing well.

http://bit.ly/iAKIKq

Joan

• Stump-tailed Macaque
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 11:06:21 pm »
Absolutely gorgeous, good that they are doing well.  The male Sumatran tiger in Dublin zoo came from Chester and has excellent social skills, being both a great mate and father.

LesleyM

• Capuchin
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 03:38:12 pm »
Sad news on their Facebook page, Kirana's cub has been found dead this morning, poor thing.

Troglodytes

• Woolly Monkey
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 04:02:11 pm »
Yes, very sad. Hopefully the fact that she looked after it bodes well for next time.

Jomni

• Capuchin
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 07:41:37 pm »
Horrible news. But, as Simon says, she was looking after her cub, so hopefully next time things will be better.

mazzy

• Stump-tailed Macaque
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2011, 12:08:41 am »
had a really lovely time at chester yesterday with Simon and Mr mazzy , was a special night with a BBQ , guided keeper tour and charity auction for EAZA   ape campaign ! me and Simon got some lovely goodies , there was some really great quirky things on auction with great historical connections to the zoo , also came away with some chimp art by the one and only Boris im well happy ! :D

chester chimps were great fun , as were the ellys and orange folk , and i love the new african hunting dog exhibit xxx

LornaMcA

• Administrator
  • Stump-tailed Macaque
  • Adoptive Mum to Pung-Yo
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2011, 06:15:23 pm »
Sounds great! I saw your boris painting on Facebook. He's a talented lad!

Joan

• Stump-tailed Macaque
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2011, 08:28:02 pm »
Sounds really interesting, the Chester chimpanzees are fascinating.  Lovely painting by Boris, as good as and better than a lot of the exhibits in the Tate Modern.

hev7575

• Marmoset
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2011, 11:32:52 pm »
The tuatara are still too young to breed. The eggs were infertile.