Author Topic: Chester Zoo  (Read 858 times)

Troglodytes

• Woolly Monkey
Re: Chester Zoo
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2012, 01:40:00 pm »
Went to Chester a couple of Saturdays ago. Can't believe how busy it was.

Probably the worst orang experience there ever, they had broken a window in two of the indoor enclosures so only one in action, got a glimpse of Utara, Puluh's back and outside Emma and Indah were just disappearing. The Bornean babies and mums were out (Martha missing) but the windows were really steamed up so couldn't really see them. There were some people who'd come from Bristol and particularly wanted to see the orangs, at least I could point them back to the Borneans which they'd missed because they are not obviously a separate group.

Went to the chimps and Boris responded to my greeting and came over and settled himself down for a chat, the man next to me was dead impressed but quite quickly a commotion developed and B had to go and check it out. He is so lovely, he looks a bit slow but otherwise really good! I also saw Heidi whose 'artwork' I bought, she has had cataract surgery and always seems to sit by the door. Nicky who is a nice, huge lad was sitting with Heidi when one of the kids came up behind him, he turned round and started to run away giving Nicky a swift kick as he did, it was so like a naughty human, Nicky went after him and it seemed to end amicably as they came back together. Tina, the youngest chimp was being teased by one of the older ones who stole the rope she'd used to swing across to the bars, she ended up using him to climb down instead. They are a lovely group.

The red pandas were both on the ground eating bamboo, it's the first time I've ever seen them being so active.

Saw both bears, they are currently separated and have been for months, Sangay came very close (melon may have played a part).

Iblis the lion is looking much more mature, there was lots of roaring going on and he was chasing one of the females.

Sadly the cheetah cubs are still off-show, fingers crossed for Adaze who has been mated recently.

The tiger cubs woke up when there was a rain/hail storm. One was trying to lick Fabi's (dad) back dry, he was looking very resigned! The other laid out in the rain but go dried off by Kirana. It's amazing how drying cats licking can be. They are growing fast, watch out Fabi, they'll be a handful!

The other baby is a tapir, she was not visible when I first went by so I sacrificed my late visit to the orangs to see if I could catch her. I was lucky, the keeper was just bringing food and Talia emerged from the capybara house where she has decided to live. It's so cute "This door is just my size, I'll live in here". She won't be able to get in for much longer. I have a mental picture of her and the capybara up all hours, playing on playstation, eating junk food whilst Mr & Mrs tapir are asleep in the tapir house!

They've refurbished the jaguar house, didn't see Pele the black jag outside which I'd hoped to, he didn't used to be able to go out but now he and Sophia go out and make a spectacular sight - him black and her spotty! They have a new HUGE fish tank and some sloths which were doing what sloths do best up in their tree.

It's such a big place I always leave thinking I've missed loads!