Author Topic: My Tribute to Pip the chimpanzee (RIP) at Monkey World  (Read 3472 times)

Ape Denis

• Stump-tailed Macaque
  • I absolutely adore Monkey World Ape Rescue Centre
My Tribute to Pip the chimpanzee (RIP) at Monkey World
« on: May 12, 2011, 05:27:26 pm »
This tribute goes to Pip, the chimpanzee who sadly passed away on 17th March 2009 at Monkey World.

Pip was born at the park 15 November 2001 in Rodney's house. Her mum, Cherri, was doing a great job looking after her for the first weeks of her life. Cherri carried her daughter the correct way and Pip looked in safer hands than her older brother Seamus did (born two years earlier). Unfortunately after around the second to third week of her life Cherri began putting her down and walking away, and it seems as though history was about to repeat itself when the keepers had to step in. Jeremy was able to go into the playroom with Cherri - there was no danger as he had a close bond with Cherri as he does with so many of the other chimps. Jeremy had to wait for Cherri to put Pip down again rather than just snatching her away - then that would be dangerous. Cherri then climbbed onto Jeremy and he was able to carry her to the far corner of the room while anoher keeper, Dave, steped inside to quickly take Pip in the just the right moment. This was Pip's rather chaallenging start to life.

Pip was then handreared by Jeremy along with another baby chimp, her half brother, Ben, who was born two months earlier. Pip and Ben would stay at Jeremy's house before moving to the Pavilions to live in the pirpose-built nursery room next to Paddy's adult chimps. Pip was always more confident than Ben, she would approach the mesh to have contact with the adult chimps while Ben would rather hang back a little. In 2003, when Pip and Ben were two years old, they moved to the chimp Nursery for Sally to look after them. Pip and her halfbrother did not have that good chimp social skills and would often slap and nip Sally, but fortunately for them Sally was a used to meeting babies and took it all in their stride.

Even though Ben and Pip settled in the nursery, it too them years to go outside! but eventually in 2006 they did and enjoyed all the pleasures of the outdoor enclosure with their new family. Change came again in February 2008 when, 7 year old Pip and Ben were ready to  move out of Sally's nursery and join an adult group. Hananya's group of 18 was the best choice because (a). It was made up of younger chimps, perfect for Ben and Pip to grow up with (b). The proximety of the two enclosures means the same team of Primate Care Staff worked in both groups therefore welcome farmiliar faces (c). Both were originally born in that group so taking them back there seemed a natural option. When vet Joh Lewis tried to dart them, Pip kept escaping the dart, very intelligently!

Pip and Ben moved to Hananya's playroom where they first met their old nursery pals Tutti and Johni before meeting the rest. Pip took the introductions in her stride, even when meeting alpha male Hananya. Hananya accepted Pip almost immediately, being a new female to his group, but took exception to Ben. Pip was reunited with her mum Cherri, but after 6 years apart it seemed unlikely that they recognised each other, but they were definately similar. Pip was strong-willed and confident, just like Cherri. After living in Hananya's group for the rest of the year 2008, in March 2009 Pip was playfighting with another chimp in the group when she got inured on her left knee. On 17th March 2009 Pip was separated into one of the bedrooms in Hananya's House, where Jeremy was able to go in with her to keep her calm. The vet Mike Nathan darted her, but Pip was too agitated and the amount of adrenaline in her body interfered with the anaesthetic therefore they had to dart her twice - and i think it was this over-dose that caused Pip to have a bad reaction all together. It would involve a minor operation to stitch up the wound but once on the operating table, just when the vet was finishing stitching up the wound, Pip stopped breathing and sadly she suffered a heart-attack and passed away. It was an extremely sadenning time.

Pip was such a special little chimp and its very sad that her life ending like that. I miss her sooo much, and im sure so does Cherri, all the Monkey World staff and of coarse her halfbrother and closest friend, Ben.

Rest In Peace Pip
With Love.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

AmyB

• Administrator
  • Stump-tailed Macaque
There is always a danger to going in an enclosure with a chimpanzee, especially a mother with an infant (even if the mother rejects the infant). Jeremy was very skilled to have gone in there with Cherri to get Pip, but it certainly wasn't safe.

Jomni

• Capuchin
Certainly wasn't. Even though Cherri was neglecting Pip, she still had a go at racing keeper Dave to the door when he swooped in to take Pip away.

Ape Denis

• Stump-tailed Macaque
Oh yes your definately right, despite how much of a bond the keepers make with the chimps, there is still no clear line of reasurance during contact with these potentially dangerous animals. Cherri could have easily done the keeper alot of harm - being about 7 times stronger than a human!!!!!!!

Jomni

• Capuchin
Nerves of steel are needed when you do those sorts or rescues. Gamba galloping towards me, even with glass in the way, was enough to get the adrenaline pumping when I was there two years ago.

Ape Denis

• Stump-tailed Macaque
Really, then that must have been a real experience for you. I would also have been scared out of my mind! Im sure Gamba was playing and decided to do a dominance display (like all male chimps). I can imagine how my first day at Monkey World would be, i would head straight to the Templer Pavilions first to see some of the chimps, live this time. I would be rather shell shocked to see such a large chimp just a few inches from me, and the only barrier between me and the ape would be the window. I imagine wanting to see my favourite characters on Monkey Life and Monkey Business, but not really barring in mind that they may be characters in tv but they are reality wild animals that would recognise you as a fan of theirs! I would crowch down to see and communicate with the chimp, though i would kind of nervous seeing a chimpanzee up close for the first time, nevermind just inches from me, a very very very very powerful animal. What an experience it would be!!!!!!

Troglodytes

• Woolly Monkey
I would be rather shell shocked to see such a large chimp just a few inches from me

Except if you've read what we've all written most of us were surprised how small the chimps first appear!

chrisii2011

• Squirrel Monkey
  • Adopted mummy of Oshine
Ive been charged at several times and my instant reaction was too go back
Passionate about animals
Dedicated to monkeyworld since 19th march 2007

AmyB

• Administrator
  • Stump-tailed Macaque
I don't flinch when most of them come flying at a window now. Apart from when Sammy does it, then I jump!!

At Col, Tombe always displays at me and I jump back mainly because he gives me funny looks if I don't!!!

Troglodytes

• Woolly Monkey
When you are right up against the glass taking a photo of someone and Sammy smashes against it it is a bit of a surprise!

Joly & Lingga are little devils for that, they don't make a noise but suddenly you move the camera and find a face right up against yours it always makes me jump because I've been concentrating so hard on whoever I was taking a picture of.

mazzy

• Stump-tailed Macaque
i tend to feel quite honoured to be displayed at  :D

AmyB

• Administrator
  • Stump-tailed Macaque
i tend to feel quite honoured to be displayed at  :D

Me too Mazzy, apart from when Tombe does it at Col because I'm certain that he hates me. Although, when he does it now, he comes back after a minute or two with his hand out and a friendly play face so perhaps he's trying to be my friend

mazfc

• Stump-tailed Macaque
It always makes me laugh when Ben displays at me, because he always comes for a hug straight after!

Danny at twycross likes to display at us, but last time he kept checking that we were watching him and were suitably impressed at his prowess at swinging at plastic bottle! His pal tommy displayed at us too, but only because he's a really nervous chimp and we're the only people he isn't scared of - he knows we wouldn't do anything back.  :)

I'd be very scared if Danny got out, he's so unpredictable.
"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~ Immanual Kant

"Man is rated the highest animal, at least amongst all the animals that returned the questionnaire." Robert Brault ;-)

mazzy

• Stump-tailed Macaque
Danny was so funny last week , its still making me smile  ;D

LornaMcA

• Administrator
  • Stump-tailed Macaque
  • Adoptive Mum to Pung-Yo
tuan was sitting quietly beside the glass and suddenly turned round and banged on the glass.  what a fright i got!  i was so glad the glass was there to protect me!